Re: Soundproofing - tips needed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on September 29, 2001 at 21:49:51:

In Reply to: Soundproofing - tips needed posted by Charles on September 29, 2001 at 20:10:50:

I would suggest working in layers.

Joe's suggestion about the styrofoam is a good one, but I wouldn't stop there. Also, if you rent you don't want to go nailing up styrofoam, but those sheets are light weight enough to attach with lots of velcro.

Start with the styro as a base, then get some 3" foam rubber (like what's in cheap sofa cushions) and hang it about an inch in front of the styro. A good way to do that is to get some 1/8" aircraft cable (wire rope) and tape it to a straightened wire coat hanger. You now have a rather large needle with extra heavy-duty thread. Attach the wire rope (sew it into) to the foam rubber, then you only need three or four hanging points. Then get some heavy velour (the blacks they throw away after theatrical runs is ideal)and hang that about an inch in front of the foam rubber. All of this is floor to ceiling.

The ceiling is a little more difficult. After attaching styro, you could try putting up more velours, but attach them in such a way that you can fill them with styro shipping peanuts. Kind of leave pockets. This would require screws and/or nails.

For the floor, a good thick pilke carpet with a double layer of padding is probably about as good as you can do. However, if the structure allows (ie, your floor, then joists, then your downstairs neighbor's ceiling) you could pay to have cellulose insulation blown in between the joists. That could also be done in the ceiling. If you rent, perhaps your landlord would help by splitting or helping defer the cost of the blown insulation.

A lot of work, but it's what I think of on the fly.

Steve

Follow Ups: