Re: Re: Re: Soundproofing - tips needed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shirley, I jest on October 01, 2001 at 20:51:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Soundproofing - tips needed posted by Rick Denney on October 01, 2001 at 11:03:52:

er . . . . the plywood floor suspended on old tires idea actually came to me years after experiencing the uncomfortable effects of being bounced on a thin tumbling mat at Judo class. I thought that if the entire floor were "springy", that would significantly help soften the blow from hitting a solid concrete floor covered by 1.5" of fairly dense padding (ouch).

I don't actually have a good idea for the floor -- hope you live on a cement slab so you don't have neighbors downstairs. However (jesting or not), the engineering challenge to avoiding sound transmission downwards does require a mechanical decoupling of the floor surface from the room below.

Then again, perhaps the best serious solution is the raised floor technique used in computer rooms, where an array of square flooring sits on little short stilts, elevated to allow a rats-nest of wiring to run underneath. One stilt is located at each corner of a square piece of flooring, thus supporting for such squares where the corners come together. Combine with the foam rubber pad idea for the walls (under the little stilts) and an insulating layer of Owens Corning pink fiberglass insulation, and you might have something workable. Plus it wouldn't be as bouncy as the old tires . . . .

Steve "E=MC**2, F=MA, E=IR, and don't push on a rope" Inman
Kokomo, IN
[don't call me Shirley . . . .]

Follow Ups: