Re: Re: F tuba w best low register?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 03, 2002 at 22:23:09:

In Reply to: Re: F tuba w best low register? posted by Yamaha or Willson on September 03, 2002 at 21:41:42:

I generally agree with Steve.

Note that Steve said how well that low C plays, as opposed to how it sounds. I've had people tell me that my low C played on an F tuba like, say, an Alexander, sounds just fine and like the other notes on the instrument, when it felt to me like the water key was open.

I don't buy this entirely. I have heard the very best tuba players in the world playing F tubas such as, say, the B&S, where you can hear a suggestion of what I feel in that low C. I think I hear it in their playing because their other notes sound so good, and the notes in question sounded just that tiniest fraction less good. I'm sure they all sound uniformly bad when I play them.

The Yamahas and the Willson have low notes that feel like all the other notes--no special treatment required. I love the ability to pick up my little Yamaha and just play it, and watch the surprise on the faces of, yes, even tubists, when the low notes are rich and full.

But I have to say that I also agree about the Miraphone 181. It comes the closest to that same feel, while still producing that beautiful tall-bell sound. I really want to spend more time with one of these.

Rick "who once owned a Cerveny-made Musica that would hardly make notes below the staff" Denney

Follow Ups: