Re: Re: Re: In Defense of HS Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on September 03, 2002 at 23:12:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: In Defense of HS Teachers posted by GC on September 03, 2002 at 22:22:20:

Which State are you in? I should have started there.

One of the reasons I left teaching was due to the fact that the administrators made NO effort to back up any attempt I made at discipline. Music class is supposed to be fun, fun, fun. You're not there to learn anything about music. The job of the music teacher is to piece together the annual tits-and-glitz musical. All classtime effort is to be spent toward producing low-brow entertainment.

Disruptive students who I sent to the office were immediately brought back to my classroom; the grinning student would announce to the rest of the class "go ahead! He can't do nothin'!". Every month my b***s were pretty much cut off in front of the group, and the administrators made it happen. I later found out that I was the tenth teacher in ten years run through that one classroom.

Also of note: The only parents I could reach or visit with on Parent-Teacher conference days were those of my A and B grade students. The parents most needed to work with me to help their child improve were not interested. You see, that's not their job.

# Behind most kids who achieve, you'll find a parent or guardian who made an effort.
# Behind most schools that achieve you'll find good administrators.

The exact opposite holds true as well for the above. I may have stayed in the profession if I had met a few more of the above.

Mark "my apologies for being so jaded" Mazak

Follow Ups: