Re: 2900 or 2950?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dr. Phil Golson on September 04, 2002 at 08:48:41:

In Reply to: 2900 or 2950? posted by Euph playa on September 03, 2002 at 21:42:27:

I played the 2950 for 4 years as principal/co-principal at the University of South Carolina (where they owned 4-6 of these euphs) and loved my time on it. Sure, every horn has got some quirkiness, but for projection, dark and powerful playing, it met the bill (my druthers would be to own a Hirsbrunner). I have a Besson Sovereign now, and still miss the Willson. I used the 51D that the horn came with, no problems. Currently I use a Bach 58 (huge, probably more suited to the bass trombone) on my Besson to get a "darker" sound. Played Planets with it last season in the local symphony and got nods of approval on the tenor tuba stuff.

If you hope to do solo work, that'll make a difference. If you do low register playing (needing the compensating side) that'll make the difference. If you are a casual player not a performance-geared person, that'll make a difference too. Ultimately, it comes down to what YOU want out of the horn. What you GET out of the horn. What practice and diligence allows you to SOUND out of the horn.

Follow Ups: