Re: In Defense of HS Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on September 04, 2002 at 12:45:16:

In Reply to: In Defense of HS Teachers posted by Chuck Jackson on September 03, 2002 at 17:57:08:

I share in the "support the teachers" category...
I grew up with 2 parents who are teachers, and among them were 5 Bachelor's degrees (different majors), 3 Master's degrees, and enough extra graduate hours to have obtained a PhD a piece. They were both, and still are, completely dedicated to their students, despite having the education to go get higher paying jobs. Both of them would go out of their way to help any student, whenever necessary. I think, honestly, there are good and bad teachers out there, as with any profession. This country treats teachers terribly, IMHO. Everyone seems to forget how they got through school and know what they know now.
I want to be a teacher, because despite some feelings that I may have "bad" kids, I have experiences with really great kids that renew my faith in the profession. If I never fulfill my dream of landing a college teaching job, I will be a high school English teacher, and be very happy about it. Although I love the tuba and performing in all situations, my heart is in firstly in my teaching, not performing. Many teachers I have had in the past have instilled this love in me, and I think that as the students, society is doing a lousy job of thanking those who are responsible for our education. My goal in life is to make a difference to at least one student, and I think maybe all the teachers out there have done that at one point, and need to remember that despite the negative comments and actions some offer.
Also, a quick note about the NEA... as with any union, teachers join to be a part of the group that is affiliated with their professsion. Just because a teacher is a member of the oraganization does not mean he / she agrees with every statement, candidate endorsement, etc. the group puts forth. I think, therefore, it is ridiculous to use the NEA as a catalyst for criticism of a teacher.

Follow Ups: