Re: Re: In Defense of HS Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on September 04, 2002 at 15:41:14:

In Reply to: Re: In Defense of HS Teachers posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 04, 2002 at 10:07:53:

Hey, now!

I would hate to sit through a tuba lesson based upon that line of thinking. For a tuba player, music most often begins in a written language, with a "verbal" delivery that will require a fair degree of accuracy, if the intended meaning is to be represented.

Have you ever had to sight-read a really half-#ssed manuscript that hadn't been proofread or made legible? Did you find making music that way efficient or enjoyable? Did you think or voice only nice thoughts for the person that made the manuscript?

A person who doesn't bathe may not notice his own smell, but that doesn't prevent others from taking notice. Decent grammar may not matter to those who ignore it, but it matters to the rest, especially in the "real world" mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Of course I could be wrong; maybe the Tubenet BBS, archives and all, is just a big chat-room.

Please, no flames. I'm NOT trying to insult anyone here; the grammar-challenged just need to be aware that the way they present themselves to others in an all-written forum (where the standards are not those of a chat-room) impacts how seriously their postings are taken.

Mark "not asking for perfection, just a little effort" Mazak

Follow Ups: