Re: Practicing without direction...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on September 04, 2002 at 18:44:53:

In Reply to: Practicing without direction... posted by Jonathan on September 04, 2002 at 17:09:27:

It sounds like your routine is a bit like mine. You didn't mention in your post just how much time you spend on each etude / solo. Perhaps what you should do is take everything you play to a deeper level. use a metronome and tuner at all times. I have started doing this, and I keep a big box of batteries right on my desk just in case. This will allow you to develop your time-keeping and intonation while doing your "regular" practicing... in a sense you are making the purpose for doing everything three-fold.

Tuner usage is especially important in the lower register. I am on my second time through the Snedecor book (by choice), and now only realize everything I have missed the first time through because I neglected the very point of the etudes. I sat down one morning and realized, gee, my low register needs some major help! So I got out the Snedecor and started over, this time with the right goal in my mind and in my ear.

Another thing I tried and seemed to help me... Try typing / writing out everything you practice, in order. Next to it, jot down what you hope to achieve by working on each particular exercise / etude, etc. be sure, then, to really focus on whatever that is you want to develop through that practice. Tape your printed out routine on your stand, this helps me with much-needed focus.

Finally, take everything to the NEXT level. You mention you work on certain things for certain skills, but are you truly being MUSICAL in all those endeavors? Even if you are practicing something for "technique", make the best music you can out of it. Record yourself and go back and listen... hopefully you can see a mental "picture" while listening to yourself.

Follow Ups: