Re: 6/4 tubas (I know I know..archives..but

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on September 05, 2002 at 22:21:16:

In Reply to: 6/4 tubas (I know I know..archives..but posted by Tubaguy on September 05, 2002 at 17:01:31:

Here are a few things to keep in mind about big horns: 1. There is lots of variability among the different kinds of big horns. 2. There is probably more variability among different examples of the same model of horn (although some models tend to be more consistent than others). 3. Yes, everyone thinks that Nirschl's and Yorkbrunners are super-duper (and I'm sure that they really are excellent horns), but there are lots of pro's out there earning their bread on Cerveny's, Mels, 2165s, old Holtons, etc., so, 3.1 The particular horn is much more important than the brand, and 3.2 The time (quality and quantity) that you spend with the horn plugged into your face is more important than the brand or model of horn. 4. How important is that big horn to you? That is, how much money can you reasonably afford and still not mess up your life. If you are a pro, then it's worth more to you than if you are an amateur. If you are an amateur, make sure that you are spending disposable income. If you don't do this, then you will be selling your new, shiny baby at a loss. 5. There seem to be some really nice used horns on the market. Seriously consider them. Don't be afraid to spend some of your budget to travel and try out some of these, because you may save yourself a bundle overall. 6. Be sure to take someone with you who also plays, when you go to try out horns. They can help you evaluate the overall sound, the intonation, how it sounds from a distance. They can even try it themselves and let you listen to it from a distance. They can smack you in the head if you get carried away and are about to do something stupid. 7. Don't buy one unless you fall in love with it. If there is something nagging you in the back of your mind about a horn, then put that one down and try another one. 8. Big horns tend to have personalities of their own. Some are cream puffs and some are howitzers. Have a good idea of the sound that you want before you go shopping. 9. Now is probably a good time to buy because the prices for many of the big horns have come down substantially over the last two years. Watch for prices to go up again when this d*!?(AT)d economic downturn is over.
I happen to like my Mel a lot (VMI 4198, all rotary), but there are lots of neat, big horns out there. Best of luck in your hunt. Picking out a big horn is GREAT fun.
Rex

Follow Ups: