Re: 6/4 tubas (I know I know..archives..but

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on September 06, 2002 at 07:19:36:

In Reply to: 6/4 tubas (I know I know..archives..but posted by Tubaguy on September 05, 2002 at 17:01:31:

You ask if there is anything else you should think about, and I think there is. Do you have a need for one of these huge tubas, or do you just want one? Are you a professional musician, aspiring to be one, or an amateur?
Unless getting, or keeping a job depends upon getting a monster tuba, I'd be in no hurry to buy one. I like to play large tubas about as much as anyone, but the models in question are somewhat over-rated in my opinion. As someone else noted, there can be great variations between identical-model instruments. Keeping your eyes and ears open, and checking out many different horns will help you find the right one and not waste money. At ITEC this year, had I been in the market for a big CC tuba, I would have bought the Neptune CC that a gentleman from Canada was trying to sell, and offering at a very good price. I have never played a better one, it was two years old and looked like new, and it frankly played better than the "big name" big CC's for sale there. My big CC for over 15 years of my career was a Rudolf Meinl 5/4 CC. Don't let the "5/4" that Herr Meinl assigned to this model fool you- it is one big horn, every bit a 6/4 by anyone else's standards. I my opinion, it is the best all-around 6/4 available, combining ease of playing with great sound, plenty of volume, and great mechanical reliability which is not the case with some of the big piston tubas.
Particularly if you are an amateur and don't want to spend much money, consider a 2XJ Conn- you'll spend much less money and can still sound great. I'm spending most of my time in the repair shop these days, and not doing enough playing that requires an expensive 6/4 to justify keeping one in the stable When the occasional need arises, my big Conn does an outstanding job. I'd like to see a behind-the-screen test between it and some of these $10K-to-$20K sacred cows.
All the best to you in your search!
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: