Re: Helicon tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Santos on September 08, 2002 at 15:36:08:

In Reply to: Helicon tubas posted by Tim on September 08, 2002 at 09:04:38:

I am the proud owner of a ca. 1950's Amati (Cerveny) Helicon with 4 clockspring valves and a brass unlacquered finish. This was acquired through a York Eb sousaphone trade deal with a friend of mine in Stuttgart, Germany last year. Being stationed in Germany certainly has its advantages, especially if you're a tuba player who loves to do dixieland jazz. I have used my helicon in all sorts of venues, ranging from stand-in-place gigs to strolling gigs to Wein und Lager Fests and so on, and people (especially Americans over here) have commented on not only how "cool" the horn looks but also the power it possesses. I think mine has a .730 bore (maybe Klaus or someone familiar with these European horns can ellaborate more). My helicon has a very long bell throat, and there's been times where I about decapitated someone because I misjudged the direction it was pointed. It takes a little getting used to, especially when getting through doorways! There was a featured dixieland piece during one of my army band concerts here where I got to use the helicon, and it fit in perfectly-intonation and everything-among the presence of two 4/4 Hirsbrunners on either side of me. I've never played an American helicon before, so I can't make any comparisons, but these horns are worth the time to check out and toot around on.

Follow Ups: