Re: Re: attn Klaus - Norse Song in Finale Notepa

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on September 08, 2002 at 22:22:46:

In Reply to: Re: attn Klaus - Norse Song in Finale Notepa posted by Lonny on September 08, 2002 at 19:57:27:

Finale Notepad doesn't seem to have (I can't find) the capability to print out individual parts - I recommend print, cut, paste, Xerox...or buying a copy of full Finale.

Klaus came thru (as we all knew he would) with an on-point and appropriate level analysis of the arrangement. The one posted is a very mechanical transcription of a piano piece (essentially, taking everything down one octave and then assigning voices from the top down). As you can imagine, this leads to violations of various voicing "rules". All of which can be fixed with a bit of elementary theory - and...the exercise provides an excellent motivation for learning some of that theory.

For example, while my son claims to know the rule about 7ths resolving by downward motion, he didn't want to change what Schumann had written. On the other hand, when he was told that parallel fifths were considered less than perfect, he stared in amazement, and then laughed. Such a silly idea.

Anyway...the main point of my original posting was that the (FREE) Finale Notepad is adequate to this type of task.

By the way - if anyone looks at the piece, be advised that it's composed on the theme G A D E. Niels W. Gade was a friend of Schumann's.

Follow Ups: