Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Another view again on September 09, 2002 at 07:16:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by Hadenuff on September 09, 2002 at 00:31:29:

Do you believe that children have a fundamental right in becoming autonomous?

No, I don't believe that. I do believe that parents have a right, and at some level an obligation, to teach their children their beliefs, and to make decisions for them, at least until they reach an age when they should be capable of doing so themselves. I was merely pointing out one falacy in your assertion that your parents were neutral.

You believe that home schoolers are dangerous because they do not expose their children to public schools where they would be subjected diverse ideas independent from their parents?

No again. I have good friends who's children were home schooled and my son was home schooled for high school, and I don't find anything dangerous about it. I do however think that my son in particular missed out on a lot of none academic experience that would have been helpful for his social development. I don't believe that exposing a child to only their parent's views is dangerous. I never said that or implied it. Again, I merely mentioned that both views are biased to some degree.

You also said "...this is one of the main reasons why home education has exploded as a movement, because public schools no longer teach absolute truth." This is an interesting statement, because there are very few, if any absolute truths. I can only assume that you are refering to your Christian beliefs and I certainly don't want those taught in my child's school.

Your quote: "I think that the most important factor moving us toward a secular society has been the educational factor. Our schools may not teach Johnny to read properly, but the fact that Johnny is in school until he is 16 tends to lead toward the elimination of religious superstition." is only true if parents let it be. In my opinion, public schools should never teach about ANY religion. If you want a parochial education for your children there are many options available. Those who send their children to public school are making the decision that religious education will be undertaken in the home and private religious institutions. Schools don't teach that religion is bad, they just don't teach about religion at all. My daughter, who went through public schools entirely, has a much stronger religious faith than my son, who was home schooled for high school. They both attended religious school from the time they were 4 and watched us observing holidays and attended services with us. We were very clear in what we believed and what we expected of them. A public school couldn't have done this and certainly didn't preclude this. We are not Christian and therefore if religion had been stressed in public school, it wouldn't have been ours.

I am old enough to remember prayer in public school, and remember the way my teachers attempted to indoctrinate Christianity, and am glad that it isn't done any longer. Those who call for religion in public school are really trying to force their beliefs on everyone else. That IS dangerous and does usurp my right as a parent.

Follow Ups: