Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 09, 2002 at 13:08:56:

In Reply to: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by D on September 07, 2002 at 10:07:27:

I've done some thinking about the many responses here both good/bad and positive/negative. What it did was make me remember what classes were the best for me as my time as a student.

I recall a consistency between them.

In my history or English classes when a teacher made a point or assignment or lecture to emphasize a basic point or fact and then allowed the students to explore it further in a "roundtable" type discussion, the students seemed to benefit the most. Not only did I enjoy this learning, but it perpetuated the discussion beyond the classroom. In my opinion, this is the best way to learn as we try to engage all students in the discussion and let them all rationalize in their own heads the opinion they are about to speak. And for those who don't listen to the lecture or do the assignment, they are left out of the discussion by their own lack of effort and either pick up their own slack or stay out of the discussions. Whether or not this is one hundred percent positive, I don't know, but it bears true to life for both the acheivers and underacheivers.

But it doesn't work as well for all situations. For a math class it is a little more difficult. When dealing with numbers and a system as old and structured as math, it becomes a little harder to use opinion as a learning tool. However, students can still be engaged in the topic and we can use building blocks and direct to life realizations for the understanding of more and more complex ideas. Archimedes didn't get incredibly close to the rationalization of pi by making circles and doing long division, he had to establish hexagons and polygons to get closer and closer to the number. We all have to go from simple to complex as a basic learning necessity. Teachers who do this best without unneccesary rehasing will fare the best. However, it is still neccessary to get students thinking critically why people needed to know why and what pi is and how it is important to them in their own career as a human being.

What does this have to do with the tuba?
Well, if we take combinations of the two (opinion type education + musicianship/factual learning + technique) and apply them to each student as he/she needs it best then we will suceed. We have to identify each students best way of learning, assimilating, comprehending and compiling informaiton to help them and get them through the system. However we must not label students. Students will change learning abilities per subject and how it interests them. The best part of music is that it touches upon all of the ways to learn, most importantly kinisthetic.

The education system is not perfect. It works to a degree. It depends heavily on how each of the teachers within the system are able to meet the needs of the students, and how the education structure can get in the way of them doing so. Parents are an important part of the equation and should recognize that fact. However, our society has promised a certain bill of goods and many times our society has failed. The best way to fix this is to take a purely business/capitalistic approach to the matter. Either hold up to your (society/educational system) end of the bargain or else we will be forced to do business somewhere else.

This is all my opinion. Feel free to discuss as you like.

Matt G

Follow Ups: