Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wait a minute 3 . . on September 10, 2002 at 11:01:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by Rick Denney on September 10, 2002 at 09:36:17:

I should never have tried posting at 3 am when I was groggy, irritable, and short-sighted. I apologize for the bad grammar and bad attitude.

I know that many of the surveys say that home schoolers tend to do better than average. My daughter's best friend is one; her mother is currently home schooling her seven siblings and is doing an excellent job. However, I've seen several examples of the other end of the spectrum, and I just think that people should be aware that the successes are tempered by failures, just the same as in public schools.

There IS a double standard applied though, because teachers seem to be consistently judged by the worst in our profession, and the rest of us are made to suffer for it, while home schoolers tend to be judged only by their best examples. Obviously, the perception of each can go both ways. I tend to judge peoples as individual cases; I can't stand stereotyping and scattershot accusations.

I know that you are not judging all teachers by the bad apples, but altogether too many people do. My state has a governor who blames teachers for all the ills of the schools in the state, and he has rammed a "reform" plan through the legislature that's going to cause problems for years to come.

Actually, I read ALL of your posts (and Jay's, Joe's, Sean's, and a few others ) and have for a couple of years. I agree with you on most things, and you are the most consistently articulate person on the board.

Follow Ups: