Re: graduate school choices and auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on September 16, 2002 at 22:26:46:

In Reply to: graduate school choices and auditions posted by David B on September 16, 2002 at 12:16:30:

I have a MM from Michigan and I'm working on a DM at Indiana. These are outstanding schools, and if you want more detail, email me.

SOME other excellent grad schools are
Northwestern
Julliard
Cleveland Institute
Rice
Arizona State
Cincinatti
Michigan State (but Go Blue, dammit)
Illinois
Georgia
USC
Maryland
Peabody
NEC
Eastman

I'm sure I've left out a couple. These are all very good and very different schools. Have lessons before hand, look at the type of players coming out of these studios, how they play and what kind of jobs they are getting. See if this is a place you could live for a few years (this does matter!) and then be realistic about your abilities and have some "safety" schools with which you wouldn't be dissapointed in case you don't get your first choice. There are many MANY excellent young musicians out there.

The best advice for lit. Play what you play best. If you can smoke on the vaughan williams, but you can get through the John williams alive, but badly bruised, play the Vaughan Williams. As long as the material is a base professional level of composition, the audition is about HOW you play, now what you play. Also, grad students are supposed to be emerging pros, continuing their professional pollish. Be and ADULT in your auditions and interviews. Grad work is hard, not just musically but also academically. know what you are getting into and be the right person for the spot. above all, be yourself and don't worry about other student players. let them motivate you, but not frighten you. many, many amazing young tubists give up because they run into a little failure. I can think of one principal t-bone player of a major american orchestra who has had plenty of rejections, but in the end he was musician enough to earn the big bucks and lead an excellent section.

and listen to gene's comments after the "ride" on his orchestra pro CD at least once every 2 or 3 weeks.

good luck, and practice intelligently.

Follow Ups: