Articulating from Back of Top Lip?!?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MP on September 18, 2002 at 11:38:19:

I am not attempting to discredit the original poster but it was recently suggested that fine articulation be possible by articulating against the back of the lips. After reading the post I attempted the technique for myself with less-favourable results - got covered in drool and almost swallowed my tongue when attempting to double-tongue. Perhaps I missed the point :)

In my mouth at least, the tongue rises and fills more of the oral cavity when moved forward (as if blowing-a-raspberry) compared with a 'standard' Too/Doo articulation. Try it...

I seriously appluad anyone who can achieve a range of clean articulations using the Lip-Tongue-Articulation Method(TM). To my mind, the only times we might (should?) articulate with tongue forward to any degree (on/between teeth - never mind LIPS) is when we want a soft 'Thoo' or 'Thee' tongue. I know some players (tromonists frequently) use this in legato passages with good results.

If it works for you - great, but is this a genuinely accepted and widely used method of articulation?? Can the original poster (or anyone using this technique) cleanly double/triple tongue (no malice intended)?

Anyone have any views or experience in this?

MP

Follow Ups: