Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Paper

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Z. on September 19, 2002 at 07:10:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Paper posted by Eric on September 18, 2002 at 21:27:35:

My only fear is that the judging of good and bad in music is problematic at best. Your MADHTTR approach is technically comprehensive, but it doesn't say much about musicality. How do you judge and compare musicality? You know if something is bad because it's usually technically bad. If it's good technically, or great in Pat's case, then you get on the slippery slope of defining what is good musically. I teach in academia so I understand it. It is a refuge for me to teach virtually unbounded, but while it is a haven for creativity and learning, it is also a haven for unfounded criticism of all that is NOT studied by the musicologist. I have very high musical ideals, don't misunderstand, but I also understand what our audience wants to hear. It's not a "Dumbing Down," though. I still work to educate my audience, to stretch their ears and minds, but to me, some of the most important communication in music is the simplest, the most subtle statement you can make, such as "The Swan" or "Danny Boy." You don't need to hammer them with your musical barrage. You need only let them know that you understand. I hope that our original poster gets an "A" as much as you!!

Follow Ups: