Re: Can you practice consistency?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on September 19, 2002 at 09:57:43:

In Reply to: Can you practice consistency? posted by MG on September 18, 2002 at 23:58:14:

Thank you for asking this question, I needed a reminder to work toward consisteny in my own playing.

Consistency is the mark of a professional. Indeed, regular practice is the key, but it is more than "face time." I can not say that I have completely mastered the instrument to the level of consistently perfect, but I have made improvement on my consistency by applying a simple concept of trying to play perfect, rather than playing to avoid mistakes.

I know it sound kid of Zen, but the way I learned how to race slolom really applies to tuba. Aim for the clear path. This is the opposite of "try not to hit the pole." The first statement is worded positively and simply. The latter gives you a mental image of what you want not to do. Chances are when you fill your mind with negative imagery, that imagery is what will become manifest... in this case you are more likely to hit the pole you are fixating on.

In terms of tuba playing, fill your mind with what you want Bydlo (or whatever you are playing) to sound like, not what your worst nightmare of the except could be and the ramifications of your screwing it up might be.

Positive imagery is effective, but only after you have worked out the technical issues.

Follow Ups: