German Bariton stuff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 21, 2002 at 23:14:40:

The German "Bariton" is sometimes called a rotary euphonium on this board. I do not agree with that term. The euphonium and the Bariton being very differnt animals. The latter being a much lighter instrument, even if some of its bore proportions might be shared with the euph.

Anyway, both instrument types have my interest. My euph is the YEP641 with an aftermarket main tuning slide mounted. My Kaiser Bariton is a very recently acquired pre-WWII Cerveny in VERY rose brass with a quite special rotor arrangement, that ensures an unbelievably fast action.

You can see 6 pics in the folder linked to below.

Some 10 years ago, before any of the above mentioned instruments entered my collection, I investigated the upper end of the German Bariton market. From that period I have a leaflet about teh somewhat special Glassl Bariton, which has an interesting arrangement of the 4th valve slide. Probably an attempt to match the low range intonation of the comp euphs. And it has a Sterling silver leadpipe. The link for that scan will be given in the following posting.

Klaus

Follow Ups: