Re: British Orchestras / Tuba Players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 25, 2002 at 11:45:00:

In Reply to: British Orchestras / Tuba Players posted by Andy on September 25, 2002 at 08:24:24:

Here are the British tuba players of whom I've heard:

Steven Wick
Cliff Bevan
George Wall

My response is strictly a data point concerning familiar names, from a person not in that fraternity except by limited association. I know the names of perhaps 7 or 8 tuba players who play professionally in full-time orchestras in the U.S., to give you a frame of comparison. I don't know if all the players above are still working in orchestras, nor do I know who is in which orchestra at present.

I would know more names if they were included on the CD's--of those I have many from British orchestras. The reason I know the names I do in the U.S. is largely because of Tubenet, and because of the players in the orchestras where I've lived, with whom I've kept in touch.

As to which orchestras are most well-known, it's hard to answer because many of the names may be of groups no longer in existence. Is the Halle still a group? Of course, everyone knows the London Philharmonic, and the London Symphony. There is also recent excellent work in my library from the Bournemouth Symphony and the Scottish National Orchestra. I have old recordings, highly regarded, from the New Philharmonia, the Halle, and a few others whose names escape me. But I don't know who the musicians are in any of these any more.

Rick "providing a data point from a music-loving non-professional" Denney

Follow Ups: