Re: Weril Instruments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick on September 30, 2002 at 10:06:34:

In Reply to: Weril Instruments posted by Larry Zaidan on September 29, 2002 at 12:49:53:

Larry:

I've had my little silver Weril CC for almost a year now and am pretty happy with it. Mine was a demo model and didn't look any worse for wear, construction-wise I would give it a B+, it doesn't have any major flaws but there was a solder blob just inside the mouthpiece reciever and if you look at it "just right" in "just the right" light you can see some very tiny rough spots in the finish.

The valves use some nylon guides to set the pistons that could be a pain in a school setting but I've heard they've changed this design.

As for durability... The brass is thicker than a St. Pete, more along the lines of my previous Miraphone. It's survived one drop from my well intentioned wife and the perils of carrying it around in a dent bag.

Tone - It's pretty good for a small horn, pitch is pretty good but it can get a little screwy around the top of the staff (may be a player issue - ME)and the low F is sharp played 1+4 and too flat played 1+2+4, I end up doing 1+4, yanking the #1 slide most of the way out and lipping it down.

IMHO they are a great deal for the $$

Rick

Rick

Follow Ups: