Re: Armed Forces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Martin (Former USMC) on September 03, 2003 at 20:16:00:

In Reply to: Armed Forces posted by :) on September 01, 2003 at 19:08:58:

As a former Marine Musician, here is my perspective on the military band programs. First and foremost, you have to want to be in the military. That is inequivocably a must. God forbid you should get into a tragic accident where your chops are busted permanently, but the rest of you is fine, they may see fit to reassign you to another military occupation until your contract has expired. You have to be willing to make your self believe in what you're doing. Otherwise you will be completely miserable. You absolutely have to want to do it. If you have any reservations about firing a gun, or having your life taken/taking a life. Remember no matter what branch you're in you are in the military. Yes the military is a great way to help pay for your college education, but there are serious implications to what you have to do. I know for a fact that there were Marine Bands in middle east supporting their troops. Not with music but pulling base security so the grunts could have a place to sleep with out too much worry. I am unsure about with Army band in our latest evolution in Iraq, but I know for a fact there were some deployed in Operation: Desert Storm as well. They put down their instruments and did the job that had to be done with guarding and such of the bases.

My honest opinion about which of the services is the best is a matter of perspective. Yes I am proud to have been a Marine but, I also realize they weren't exactly the most talented group of musicians around. If I had to rank it as far as Musicality I would rank it thusly: (These are specifically for "Fleet Bands" not the premier Washington D.C. bands)

1.) Air Force
Majority have college performance degrees in their respective instruments. Minimal ammount of B/S collateral duties, and from observation the emphasis is on Music.

2.) Navy
Majority are good musicians, they have slightly more colatteral duties. Promotions are done through passing musical knowledge tests. Not as many as in A.F. who have music degrees.

3.) More "militant" than Navy. has a good mixture of Music and Military. Required to qualify on rifles. (I am unsure of the interval) They get to do some stuff that is really cool as far as weapons that Marines don't have the funding or the availability to do.

4. My beloved Marine Corps. I love the Corps, but I know we're not exactly the greatest musicians. Damn it to hell if we don't look good though. Occasionally we'll gt someone with a degree in performance from Northwestern university, or the Peabody Conservatory from Johns Hopkins. (What they were thinkin' I don't know.)

No matter what, the military isn't an easy life, especially as a musician. On holidays you're performing, at nights you're out performing. You get to go to some VERY cool historical places. Sometimes you get to meet people who have lived the history themselves. I've been to Saipan, Wake Island, Kwajalein, I did Mardi Gras twice (long old parades), Did the Rose Bowl Parade. Every time I played the Marines Hymn I couldn't help but get a shiver down my spine, and a little tear in my eye. As a military bandsman you represent the past and the future of America's Military. You represent the sacrifices that others before you have made so you can be there, and you represent the future of what will be further down the road. If you decide to enlist, remember first and foremost you're in the military. Hate or love it, you're there and you have a job to do, and as of right now you have chosen to be there. There are alot of great opportunities in the Military Music field, but there are also alot of negatives. If you're concerned so much with the negatives. I would say don't do it. If you're willing to accept the situation you have and make the best of it while you're, you'll have a great time. Some times you'll even have a great time inspite of your desire to be miserable. You'll understand what I mean if you do it.

Sorry to be so long winded. I hope this shed's some light on to the subject.

Martin

Follow Ups: