Re: Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by interesting ideas... on September 03, 2003 at 20:46:23:

In Reply to: Re: Becoming a professional posted by real answers on September 03, 2003 at 19:21:06:

..but here are some other considerations.

I think the majority of professional musicians would say that they learned at least as much if not more from peers as from their private studio teachers. Therefore some sort of music school setting where a student can gain experience in performing with other musicians (preferably excellent musicians) is highly desirable.

The amount of practice time necessary for a musician to obtain the mastery to win a big job depends on the individual. Some people are so talented that they take less practice time than others. Some people are excellent at practicing efficiently and can get done in 2-3 hours a day what it takes others 6-8 hours a day.

$45K is somewhat arbitrary in that there are players making above that who are no where near as accomplished as some who make well below that. The truth about professional musicians is that the overwhelming majority of them make at least part of their incomes teaching. Given that, I think that anyone considering a career in music is wise to consider teaching as part of that career. Believe me, just counting rests in the back of an orchestra can get old fast and teaching can add variety to a career (and also help put your kids through college).

Follow Ups: