Re: Re: Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by real answers on September 03, 2003 at 21:26:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Becoming a professional posted by ed on September 03, 2003 at 20:37:39:

ed,

Your guesses regarding my views and motives couldn't be more off-track, and I believe that you'll find that the higher-paying the orchestras, the higher percentages of "non-degreed" personnel you will find. My strong suspicion is that if one would like to find a group of 90%+ degreed personnel, one might investigate most community bands, but a far lower percentage in living-wage-paying symphony orchestras and military bands.

In your rebuttal you've obviously championed the virtues of the well-rounded individual, the Renaissance man, etc., but these are not the things about which the parent inquired. To review, the primary question was, "What's the typical path for someone to become a professional tubist? (btw: The question was NOT "the typical path for someone to try to become a professional tubist") By definition (and making reasonable assumptions), the parent was referring to the very small group of people in the world who perform well enough to make their living playing in orchestras and military bands. To succeed in this field requires incredible single-mindedness, in lieu of a time-consuming hobby, watchin' TV, hangin' out, a part-time job, fist-fulls of "liberal arts" college courses, and possibly in lieu of a serious girlfriend (during the pursuit of these goals). The parent's concern regarding "keep[ing] balance in his life" needs to be addressed candidly and in the most crystal clear manner possible, as succeeding in becoming a "professional tuba player" requires the same sort of dedication as becoming a professional actor, dancer, athelete, pop singer, etc., etc. I am not condemning the "Renaissance man/well-rounded/liberal arts" thing, but the parent needs to know the truth that this is very seldom if ever the path to succeeding in becoming a professional tuba player. Rather, these sorts of enriching pursuits are typically embraced later in the lives of artists who have achieved - such as has been seen over and over in the lives of many middle-aged accomplished musicians/actors/atheletes, etc.

I could make all sorts of wild guesses regarding your life outlook, attitudes, and mental health from your comments, but I'm not so presumptuous. You need not reveal what in your method of thinking caused you to interpret my post so bitterly.

Follow Ups: