Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by r. a. on September 03, 2003 at 23:56:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Becoming a professional posted by Proctor on September 03, 2003 at 23:42:15:

"Do you think that Jake wasted his time at the Curtis Institute"

Of course not! Curtis was and is the pure-classic model of an extremely exclusive trade school/conservatory for aspiring professional musicians...not a "liberal arts - university" at all.

" I guess guys like Reiner and Stowkowski were just hacks when they invited him (sans audition) to play in their orchestras"

You probably haven't realized it yet, but you just contradicted yourself. Was it not you (It certainly wasn't me.) who strongly stated that in the past a lot of ho-hummers got in because of the lack of a legitimate audition procedure?

I can only assume that your own aspirations are not to play the tuba professionally, as it appears that you are pursuing a liberal arts education at an extremely fine university that I know well and respect (Jim Barnes, et al).

Since this is not your personal chosen career path, why do you consider yourself an expert in how to pursue it?

Follow Ups: