Re: Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 04, 2003 at 11:32:42:

In Reply to: Re: Becoming a professional posted by Steve Dedman on September 04, 2003 at 09:30:03:

You bring up a lot of good points, however, as Joe has stated, the original question was how to become a professional player. Not a teacher, etc.

As for needing to be well-rounded to converse at that black tie mixer, a subscription to the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and a Library card can achieve the same thing. Being exposed to a lot of different things doesn't mean you'll asorb them.

It reminds me of the line in "Good Will Hunting" when he (Will) is in an intellectual battle with a Harvard guy and says (roughly): "You had to pay $100K to learn what I did for $1.50 in late fees from the public library."

A lot of us see putting approxiamtely three hours into being a professional consuming the whole day. I know there are other classes out there and what not, but a lot of those who make it are current on topical events, stay fit, and attend the proper classes.

They have the one key ingredient others don't. Orginization/Prioritizing. Like in business, effeciency is the key. That is why I stated three simple steps. They don't always apply to music either.

So what does it take to become a professional?

1. Find somebody who is doing it right now.

2. Do exactly what they did, are doing, and will continue to do to keep up their abilities.

3. Do it better than they do.

When studying with an instructor, find out how he/she got the gig(s) he/she has(had) and learn from his/her lessons and mistakes. How does he/she keep the gigs he/she has? How do they network? How do they market themselves to perpetuate their income? How do they function in a social setting? What do they do for a hobbie? (Probably not music!)

Becoming a master musician is like becoming a master tradesperson. One must know how to perform and provide the highest quality product already without question. The key to becoming a master tradesperson and a musician, is how to do this on your own and continue to do it without the immediate help or supervision of others.

Guess what also: A lot of those folk who do make orchestra gigs do know how to party. Believe me. Not out of hand or anything, but they do know how to have a good time. Again, the ability to prioritize everything else is the key.

I would suggest anyone serious about doing anything to sit down and write out your goals. Make them concrete. Formulate a plan to achieve them. Plan your work and work your plan. Make midpoint goals. Stick to it. Success is not automatic.

Here is the percieved formula for success.

x+y+.0001(l)=s
x=hard work
y=dedication
l=luck/destiny, etc.
s=success

The percieved reality of music is a little bleak. Especially when a lot of schools turn out a lot of tubaist who really won't have the chance to be a professional musician. The numbers simply don't line up. But somehow music programs have a lot of money to throw at kids, especially low number instruments, like tuba, and pump up there ego that they are able to become a professional. They can, but unless the person telling them this makes 85% or more of their income from playing, or didn't in the past for a long duration of time, then you must take their word with a grain of salt. A number of professors at the university level, unfortunately, really don't have the experience to tell a student what it takes to make it as a pro. They can tell them how to land a university job, but again, the original post was a professional tubaist, not a professional educator.

Matt G

Follow Ups: