Re: Help: Used tuba for middle schooler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on September 04, 2003 at 12:38:59:

In Reply to: Help: Used tuba for middle schooler posted by clueless on September 04, 2003 at 11:16:22:

I applaud you for supporting your kid's tuba playing; many parents don't. You'll find a lot of people here who are eager and able to give good counsel. Depending upon where you live, there are a few shops around the country where you could go and try many tubas. Most of those dealers are well known and, since they know the tuba community is a small one, jealously guard their reputations by always displaying the highest integrity. Please note that there is reputed to be at least one exception to that rule.

Unfortunately, only an expert on your kid could really answer the questions about what tuba you should buy; but the tough part is often knowing what the issues are (and knowing certain instruments and sellers to avoid). To that end, I'd consider the following:

o He says he wants to keep playing the same type of horn; but has he tried others?

o What kind of tubas do they play at the High School he'll attend? We've read accounts on this list of band directors not allowing students to use their (very fine) instruments because they considered them 'incompatible'. That usually meant the bell went the wrong way (top keys point right, front keys point left) or was the wrong color. In any case, I'd talk to the director to make sure your selection meets with his approval.

o It would be good to get opinions from this list about any brand you consider before committing. You will get some negative feedback on any instrument you ask about, but at least look for an overall positive response. You can save yourself a little time in this regard by immediately disqualifying any instrument made in India, any made in China except for Jupiter (and I think, now, Yamaha), and any instrument whose country of origin is vague.

o An instrument with 3 valves is worlds better than no instrument, but if you can afford it get 4. At and above the HS level, he really does need them.

o I like and respect Tabor, but I think he's off the mark this time on the notion of getting a CC. For a HS Freshman who is going to be playing in a band, who is probably NOT majoring in music, and for whom money IS an issue, a CC makes little sense to me.

o Have a trusted expert that can check out potential purchases for you. Tubas that look fine can still have serious problems. Paying a teacher a half-hour lesson fee for just this purpose is money well spent.

o As great as it is to have his own instrument, might he be better off borrowing one from the High School (if this is an available option) and spending the money on lessons? Since he's renting now, it occurs to me that this may not be an option, and "money is an issue" means different things to different people; but many a fine tuba player plays on a school horn.

Good luck. Let us know how the search is going.

Joe Baker, who bought his first tuba when he was 38.

Follow Ups: