Re: Re: Help: Used tuba for middle schooler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by whoops on September 04, 2003 at 16:22:40:

In Reply to: Re: Help: Used tuba for middle schooler posted by Tabor on September 04, 2003 at 11:53:50:

After I made that post, I re-read the original post and realized that this was for a middle school student! (doh!) I was thinking High School. I had to run to teach some classes, but now I am back to ammend my comments.

Although your son is not tiny, the Conn horns I mentioned before may be a bit much to hold. They do, however, make a big sound and are fun to play.

I'd go with a BBb tuba. He is used to it, and the fourth valve (if he gets a tuba with four valves) will be tricky enough! The horn that is coming to mind now is an old, detachable bell King 2341. They are fairly inexpensive, full-sized (but not giant), will hold some value and they usually sound as good or better than tubas costing thousands more.

Many people play, like and recommend Yamaha Bb tubas. I just don't like them. Many highly respected, well-paid musicians tell me that I'm wrong, I'm crazy or point, laugh and call me names. I just don't like how they sound (compared to nearly anything else).

Follow Ups: