Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 04, 2003 at 16:43:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Becoming a professional posted by 1 Hour is Sufficient on September 04, 2003 at 16:24:39:

I am scientifically trained, and I admit that I am compelled to question anecdotal evidence such as you present. I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help it. It's poor life skills, I suppose.

Are you saying that anyone who practices as your exemplar does will see his success? And did he practice as he does back before he was enjoying all the fruits of that success?

One genius does not an educational or training method prove.

Every professional I've talked with on the subject describes a period in their lives when they lived for music and practiced 6-8 every day, for at least several years. They cross bridges during that training period that they can stay across with much less practice in future years. But they have to get across them in the first place. There are, of course, the occasional geniuses who were born on the other side of those bridges, but I'm not sure they should present the formula for everyone else.

If a high degree of focus and efficiency can make one hour do the work of six, then imagine what a high degree of focus and efficiency can do with six hours.

Rick "noting that many who burst onto the scene as the recipients of good luck have been working their butts off for years in obscurity" Denney

Follow Ups: