Re: First audition-Advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by why not.... on September 04, 2003 at 22:19:14:

In Reply to: First audition-Advice posted by SHS Tubamaster on September 04, 2003 at 20:39:59:

...just play the solo as written? I'm sure that whoever listens to your audition is accustomed to hearing pieces without their accompaniment.

Here are some audition tips from the tubist of the Toronto Symphony:

1. Only worry about the things that you have control over. There is nothing you can do about who is invited, who is on the commitee, the repertoire chosen, etc. Don't waste your time thinking about this stuff. Do something useful and constructive instead.

2. Don't forget your fundementals. Spend plenty of time on long tones, lip slurs, attacks, etc. Some players seem to get too focused on the excerpts. They
are much easier to play if your basics are sound.

3. Use your tools. You paid good money for that metronome, tuner and recorder. Put them to good use, all of them.

4. Play for other musicians, including non-brass players. Some of my best insights have come from woodwind and string players and vocalists.

5. Develop a strategy for seriously dealing with your nerves. I doesn't work to hope you won't be nervous, you will be. Know what to do. Practice getting nervous
(doing #4 above helps).

6. Take the time to practice everything very slowly. You'll be amazed at what flaws you discover. If you can't play it slow, you can't play it fast either.

7. Develop a pre-excerpt routine for the audition (like a golfer has a pre-swing routine). Your sense of time on stage can be distorted and the routine can
keep you focused and prevent you from making errors
caused by rushing from one excerpt to another.

8. Go and see live performances of great musicians. It is inspirational and educational. Again, not just brass players.

9. You are not, and cannot be, over-prepared.

10. Treat the audition as an intense period of self-improvement. That way you are a winner whether you get the job or not.

I'd like to add one of my own...do some breathing exercises EVERY DAY. Not only will your playing improve immediately, but some of the slow exercises (for example, eight counts in, hold for eight counts...without closing the throat...imagine a galss about to overflow with water...eight counts out) come in handy for calming the mind and slowing a racing heart. Also...drink lots of water.

Good luck

Follow Ups: