Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by joe schmoe on September 05, 2003 at 13:16:32:

In Reply to: Becoming a professional posted by Curious Parent on September 03, 2003 at 18:04:33:

Holy crap... I wanna chime in, but I dont want to sort through all those posts... sorry if any of this has already been said...

First off (and perhaps most important) You have to abandon the notion of this soccermom/corporate dad "living wage" stuff –

You have to look at it like: "How do I survive while/by playing the tuba??"
Music is a totally different life – you have to completely immerse yourself in it.

Unless you are employed by a large organization (ie a major orchestra or the military), you have to combine many things to survive.

You combine, performing many styles – often playing things you don’t like to make money to play things you do like that don’t make much at all. You teach (as we all are responsible for passing on to others what has been passed on to us), you learn MUSIC BUSINESS (something that is rarely ever taught in school). You learn how to book bands, and run a band. You arrange, you compose, you consult, you produce, you collaborate.
You become creative like an entrepreneur. It is all a balance, working toward a goal.

You also must "hang out" – which is a musician’s term for NETWORKING. You can be the best player in the world, but if no one knows you, you wont get any calls. (in sight, in mind, out of sight, out of mind) Force yourself to be in constant contact with as many folks as possible. Everything works by word of mouth and who knows who. Usually the first person to be called is the first person that pops into the mind of the bandleader. How will you become that person?

Above all, be positive and enthusiastic, humble and kind. Show up on time (early if it is a legit gig, but not too early if it is a jazz gig :), have good ears and listen and play with a great sound at all times. Do your best to support the vision of whoever is hiring you.

It’s not about the money...

Follow Ups: