Re: Finger Chops: best books?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on September 05, 2003 at 13:39:22:

In Reply to: Finger Chops: best books? posted by DS on September 05, 2003 at 11:32:25:

I have uploaded a set of scale and arpeggio routines with pages dedicated specifically towards euph in Bb treble clef (also applicable for trombones, baritones, tubas, and bugles reading treble clef brass band/drum corps style) and euph bass clef (also applicable for trombones, bass trombones, and bassoons). Furthermore in bass clef: dedicated versions for tubas in F, Eb, CC, and BBb.

All keys are represented in these modes: major, minor (natural, melodic, and harmonic), Dorian, and Mixolydian. Important directions are given in the prefaces for the major and minor mode versions. On completion of the routines, you will master any key through 4 octaves. But that will take quite a bit of dedicated work for most players.

However I have the basic idea, that the less ambitious player only mastering all keys in the middle two octaves still will offer a much more valuable contribution to his musical environment, than will players with the attitude, that scales (and accidentals) are pure junk invented by the "intellectuals" to brag about. (I actually had a conservatory educated WW "colleague", who taught his students to ignore accidentals, if they did not know the proper fingering. They were pure poison in ensemble contexts. Jazz ensembles die if accidentals are substituted with the "plain" notes. Classic music is not much better of).

Sorry for the rant from the same musical right (archaic) wing, which JS represents from a much higher level of performing musicianship than the humble one bestowed on me.

My download homepage has a link for the index of my uploaded files in .pdf format. You can download them for free, as soon as I have received your reply to my "Welcome"-mail. Players already approved of course have direct access.

Klaus Bjerre of Denmark
Retired teacher

Free music files in .pdf format:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterBBb/
(Approved membership required)

Index over brass instruments gallery and catalogue scans:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterPublicPhotosIII/files/
(Open and free for all membership recommended for better view options.
Alternative log in option for picture viewing:
Yahoo identity = brassphotos03 and password = public)

Follow Ups: