Re: Severe hand pains

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on September 06, 2003 at 11:35:39:

In Reply to: Severe hand pains posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 05, 2003 at 12:11:54:

I don't have a problem when playing tuba, but I do have a problem when playing my bass sax, because of how much i have to stretch my hand.

What I suspect is that you probably have small hands like me and your doing a lot of funking stretching and twisting of your hand when playing. Several things I'd try is first if you don't already have large finger buttons (if using a piston horn) I'd get some so you don't have to stretch your fingers as far. Next I'd evaluate what is causing the pain. When I play my bass sax I notice that I feel the pain more on certain notes then on others. When you feel the pain analyze what fingering you are playing and what fingering you just came from. You may want to experiment with the angle of the horn. If using a rotary horn you may want to have the spatulas bent, or quarters soldered on the ends of the spatulas. I'd also evaluate the angle that you are holding your wrist. You may need to move your elbow out some to keep the wrist straight. You may even consider having the leadpipe moved up or down or in or out so you can position your hand better. Even using a wrist brace to help remind you to keep your wrist straight wouldn't be bad.

Just my thoughts.

Follow Ups: