Mouthpiece Advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on September 06, 2003 at 14:38:47:

I'm looking for a new mouthpiece mainly because the two I have may give me brass poisoning. I started on a school's borrowed Bach 18, and moved up to a self bought Bach 24AW from ebay. I thought it just needed some polishing, but in fact it had wear on the rim, so my band director told me he will not let me play with that mouthpiece, and I told him I didn't have the funds for a good Bach 24AW, so he bought a faxx 24AW which I payed him back for. One year later the cup of the mouthpiece is wearing out. Where the cup goes into the backbore there is a ring of raw brass because all of its silver plate wore off. There is also discoloration and fading of the silver plate, and he told me not to play that one either.

So, I need a new mouthpiece. But before I go and buy another 24AW, I would rather get one that will suit my needs for many years to come. I'm looking for a mouthpiece that will increase my volume, allow a deep, organ like low register, allow easy pedal tones, and have a bright higher register. It also needs to be able to carry over the band when need be, as in solo work.

I was looking into the Helleberg 7B and 120, any comments? Suggestions? Any other mouthpieces that would fit my wish list and make me a happier tubaist?

Thanks,
Brad

Follow Ups: