Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going Pro???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on September 07, 2003 at 18:42:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going Pro??? posted by Don't... on September 06, 2003 at 12:22:07:

I would suggest that outside of those of us that play tuba most other musicians(even trombonists) really aren't that aware of the relatively subtle differences in tuba sounds that are being discussed. Most when pressed, if their eyes haven't already glazed over from the tedium of listening to more than one tuba, will just shrug their shoulders and say, "yup! sounds like a tuba!" I would suggest that this would likely be the case even when comparing such extremes as Bobo's sound versus Jacobs'. A better example would be to listen to Gene Pokorny's orchestral excerpt CD and compare the sound of the Yorkbrunner to the PT F tuba(pretty much opposite extremes in terms of tuba sounds). Even as a tuba player there are moments when I think it's difficult to tell those two instruments apart. A non tuba player won't even know to think that there would be a difference in sound. Having a great sound is certainly very important to a successful audition however the character itself isn't quite so important as the fact that the player also demonstrated complete musical control over their instrument and flat out played what was on the page better.

MOFWIW

Follow Ups: