Re: Re: Meinl-Weston tuba harness

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Schultz on September 09, 2003 at 11:53:44:

In Reply to: Re: Meinl-Weston tuba harness posted by Jim on September 09, 2003 at 09:48:43:

My 183-4 Mirafone loops measure about .280" across the narrow way. The rubber tip on the lower hook on the M-W harness measures .320" diameter. The steel part of the lower hook measures .245". The widest part of the upper M-W hooks measures about .320". If your attachment points measure at least .320" on the inside at the smallest place, the M-W harness hooks will work just fine.
The M-W harness has an upper hook on each of the shoulder straps so you can lean the horn either direction depending on whether it is a top action of front action horn. I have had very good results using both of the upper hooks. One of the upper hooks can be removed if you don't need it. Everything is fully adjustable. I used my harness for two hours this past Sunday. It sure is nice to be able to do a standing gig without your arms feeling like they will fall off!
There is another harness on the market that I have not evaluated but others have said it works just fine also. The price of the other harness manufactured by 'Blue Note' is about a third of the M-W harness. I think the Tuba Exchange sells them for under $30. I bought the M-W simply because the Germans seem to have an eye for detail that is just hard to beat. (after all... my name is 'Schultz').

Follow Ups: