Re: Besson 983 Eb/ Or and F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Holcomb on September 09, 2003 at 16:37:06:

In Reply to: Besson 983 Eb/ Or and F posted by Wesley Pendergrass on September 09, 2003 at 12:51:30:

Hi Wes
I am an Eb Tubist for ever- having played Bb in HS and College- but played EEb in Quintet for the last 20 years. I played a Besson Sovereign 981 for many years - but recently sold it back to a Brass Bander in the UK (for more than I paid for it!) A good 981 or 982 will bring a pretty penny these days - $3500 or more. The reason I could sell my 981 is that I had bought a c.1965 Besson F tuba - which I had completely overhauled- and then converted to EEb by making a longer tuning slide. The F Besson was made for a short time by Boosey to the design of John Fletcher - legendary Tubist with the Philip Jones Brass ensemble. I recently hurt my back and the little F/EEb makes a great substitute to the big Honkers like the 981 and 982, and to boot, the F has almost identical bore, 3+1 valve configuration, and a really big sound!!

Now- The 983......... At the same time I sold my 981 I saw an almost new Besson Sovereign 983 EEb on eBay- and bought it. The 983 has a 17" bell (19" on the 981 and 982)and has 4 valves in front instead of the old 3+1 on the 981 and 982. The 983 I bought has a custom leadpipe on posts rather than soldered to the bell. I love the sound of the 983 and I am sure it would make an ideal solo tuba. However I am having some trouble training my pinkie to operate the 4th valve, as well as training my eyes -looking around the right side of the horn -after 20 years looking around the left side of my 981.

I also have a Sovereign 982 (same as 981- but with strap loops for marching). This horn however is truly unique as it is lacquered a brilliant blue - with a gold (clear Lacquer) inner bell and tuning crook highlights!! I am considering selling this beauty - only because I dont need so many tubas- I have more than 25!!. I have a mini museum and some of the horns mentioned above can be seen on my cyber museum at

Hope all of this is some use to you - give me a call at 727-367-7722 and we can talk tubsa

Phil Holcomb

Follow Ups: