Re: Culbertson Neptune opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on September 13, 2003 at 22:40:50:

In Reply to: Culbertson Neptune opinions posted by interested buyer on September 13, 2003 at 19:25:13:

I've had the rotary for just 3 years and I really like it. Yes, 5th valve helps on intonation. Yes, the low end does not pop out like it does on smaller horns, but that is the case with 6/4 sized horns. If you're a habitual first valve puller, that could be tough here. Instead, use the smaller 5th valve slide and substitute 5th for 1st valve. 5 valve slide is easy to pull. The second valve thinger is also very helpful for intonation.
The sound is great. Very nice dynamic range. Not the huge sound that you'd might get from one of the old, cut down Yorks or maybe a Holton, but I've never had a problem delivering enough sound. Also, I find that I can play quietly enough for a quintet (something you just cannot do on many big horns). I really like the sound of the horn.
Other info: I use a PT-88 and am happy with it. Gig bag and no problems. Hetman oil and slide grease. This horn will sound very different between your living room and the concern hall. It really comes alive in a big setting. Both of my lead pipes fit just fine and I use the bigger of the two. I use the smaller 5th valve slide. Realize that this is a large horn that requires some strength to hold. I find that I cannot use a stand (our chairs are too short), however, I use the "tacky shelving liner on the lap" dodge and have no problem with 2 and 3 hour rehearsals.
Gripes: The main tuning slide could be a little longer. If you have big, chunky hands, oiling the backs of the rotars will take a little practice.
Pluses: Good workmanship on the horn. Very solid (it's got the tank thing going). Very fast, reliable valves. No break-in problems. Very good response for a big horn. Attractive finish (I've gotten many complements on how good the horn looks). And, of course, the sound really fits my concept of what a contrabass tuba should sound like (yeah, I know that it's me + the horn, but the horn helps a lot here).
Since I got my Neptune, I've tried other big horns (2165, big Cerveny, big Rudy, etc.), and all those others are nice, but I wouldn't trade. However, I know other players who feel the same way and do not play Neptunes. This means that you should try them for yourself. Please note: I have not tested any of the $15K+ horns.
Given the choice again, would I buy a Neptune? Yes, in a heartbeat. Are they for everyone? Probably not.
Investment? I personally think that musical instruments are lousy financial investments. You should buy one because you really want to play it, and can afford it. This is important, because it seems that there are players out there who buy expensive horns, then have to let them go because they cannot afford them. My heart goes out to them, I know that would be hard for me. Don't get caught in that trap. I fully expect to be playing mine in 30 years, and that makes it a good investment for me.
Sorry for the long post. Good luck,
Rex

Follow Ups: