Re: What to do, What to do??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on September 14, 2003 at 21:20:47:

In Reply to: What to do, What to do?? posted by Student on September 14, 2003 at 19:28:03:

First a little primer on mouthpieces. The Bach mouthpiece numbering system is such that the larger the number the smaller the diameter of the rim. So a 24 is smaller than say a 22, 18 or 12. The "A" refers to the size of the cup; "A" representing a larger cup than normal. The "W" refers to the wide rounded rim on the thing. The 24AW is designed for the marching performer to "cushion" the lip while marching.

Now the Helleberg mouthpiece has a very flat rim with a sharp inner edge and it is much different than the 24AW. Not better just different. Different people will prefer one over the other. One of the "complaints" of the Helleberg is the flat sharp rim. Another different characteristic of the two mouthpieces is the shape of the cup. The Bach being a big round bowl, while the Helleberg is more of a funnel or "V" shape. The two mouthpueces could not be much more different! If you want to try some different mouthpieces I wold say first at this point perhaps stick to Bach's 22 or 18. They will have more comfortable rims than the Helleberg with similar cups but will have bigger diameter rims than your 24. The 22 is actually very similar to the Helleberg I feel with a much more comfortable rim. Another similar sized mouthpiece with a very comfortable rim is the Denis Wick 2L. The Denis Wick 3L is similar to your 24 AW in that it has a big bowl with a "normal" non-cushioned rim.
ken "hope I didn't confuse you more" k

Follow Ups: