Re: What to do, What to do??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on September 15, 2003 at 09:12:49:

In Reply to: What to do, What to do?? posted by Student on September 14, 2003 at 19:28:03:

Hi,

My apologies if I reiterate anything already mentioned. I just want to comment on a couple of things you said.
Firstly, don't feel bad about asking the contra vs. bass question. I have met college students that were already tuba performance majors that didn't know the difference. You asked the question, meaning that you wanted to know. You should be commended for seekign that knowledge!

Secondly, as far as how mouthpieces go, they are important, but don't let anyone lead you to believing they are everything. Sure, some will feel better than others, but don't be fooled into thinking problems you are having are all the mouthpiece. (You didn't say anything that made me believe that you think that, but some people do think that way... I won't say my own name!) I used to switch mouthpieces an awful lot, and the only result that came from it was confusing my chops and not being solid on any of the mpcs!
Also, you need more than an hour, or a day, to try out a mouthpiece. It takes a very long time to actually know how you and your horn will respond to a given mouthpiece. Many times have I made the mistake of buying a mouthpiece that I thought was all good since I played it at a booth for 30 minutes, only to find out two weeks later I hated it.
A good teacher will recommend something, as yours did, but don't limit yourself to what everyone else is supposedly doing. If your teacher doesn't offer more than one suggestion, do your own research. Everyone is different, and it is hard to believe that MOST good HS players will all feel comfortable on a Helleberg. I was told this in high school and in undergrad, and neither time did I listen. I think I was better off by trying something new, that at the time was a much better fit.

It's good you made the step of taking lessons now! It will put you ahead of some.
Good luck! (:

Follow Ups: