Re: Charges for flying with a tuba??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on September 16, 2003 at 10:08:14:

In Reply to: Charges for flying with a tuba?? posted by Jeff on September 15, 2003 at 22:06:34:

It's not just tubas (i.e., they're not "out to get you"). I fly moderately frequently and have noticed that more and more "gypsy caravans" are being assessed charges for too many bags, oversized bags, and overweight bags. Part of this, I'm sure, is that airlines are running (on average, from my observations) closer to "full bus" flights these days. Another is that times are bad and this is a relatively easy way to add a few dollars to the bottom line.

Last summer, I spent 10 days on the left coast and borrowed my son's rather large suitcase. Normally, I can fly anywhere with a much smaller bag (for example, it was adequate for my recent week-long trip to Germany) - but on this occasion I felt the need to bring everything. I bought several books, and packed my briefcase with all my papers inside the big suitcase for the trip home, and got hit with a $25 overweight charge.

I briefly considered unpacking the bag to carry on the briefcase...and then figured that it wasn't worth the $25 to me.

The bottom line here is that airline fares are designed for people with a maximum of 50 pounds of baggage. If you want to ship freight too, then you should expect to pay. All things considered, I'd say that $100 to ship a tuba from coast to coast (and all you have to do is show up at the counter and present it - and expect to pick it up within a half hour of arrival) is a pretty good deal.

But then, I'm a bit of a luggage Nazi. I'm always amazed at the huge piles of *stuff* that people bring on the plane (and annoyed at the problems created).

Follow Ups: