Re: Re: Long Tones/Age

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on September 17, 2003 at 17:24:40:

In Reply to: Re: Long Tones/Age posted by Sven Bring on September 17, 2003 at 00:55:09:

The Clarke Study is a simple, slurred scale of the first 7 notes of the chromatic scale starting on whatever note your 1-2-3 valve combination is below your specific 2nd partial. EE for BBb tubas, F# for CC's, B natural for F, and A natural for EEb. I start mine up an octave and work my way either way by half steps, doing three repetitions of the exercise.

In response to the post above, this study does make you work on your air flow as well as a long tone does, with out the static pressure on the small muscles of the embouchure. This is a simple stretching exercise akin to stretching before taking a walk. As you loosen up, you can start to do progressively harder material. I save my short(5 minutes) oif long tones for when I feel loose. This generally consists of a two octave scale, quarter note at 60, 4 beats to a note, breating on beat 3 1/2 on each note. Then I immediately do some of the initial warm up to loosen up any tight muscles. The Clarke Study is not a panacea, just something my friend and I came up with that we both had knowledge of.

Chuck

Follow Ups: