Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, wet my knickers...!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on September 18, 2003 at 14:01:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, wet my knickers...!!! posted by W.W.W.-J.D. ? on September 17, 2003 at 21:16:46:

I have to disagree with your statement that a gig-bag provides "no" protection. It won't help a lick if you drop it; but it prevents scratches, and CAN prevent SOME dents, especially if the impact occurs in an expanse of fabric or leather that is stretched tight between two contact points (and if the it's not "too" hard of a shot, of course). Such impacts might otherwise not only hit the instrument, but hit down between outer tubes, where it is more difficult to reach. I also believe that the stiff plastic insert featured in some bags would dissipate a lot of shock, at least lessening the resulting dent if not avoiding it altogether. If you doubt this, place a knuckle of your hand against the foam, and begin to strike the outside of the bag with a drumstick, harder and harder until you think "yeah, that'd leave a dent". Immediately pull your hand out and hit your bare knuckle with the same shot. I believe you will feel a considerable difference.

But I agree that a case is the best bet when it will fit the car and not injure the carrier.

Joe Baker, who is astonished that people will pay big bucks to strap a t-bone slide to the OUTSIDE of a bag.

Follow Ups: