Re: My very short concert season

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis Morris on September 24, 2003 at 00:35:42:

In Reply to: My very short concert season posted by Keith C. on September 23, 2003 at 18:37:54:

"They suggested that I can return for the dress rehersal...to play my 14 notes. I told them to give me a call when they have programed the next concert"

Keith, with all due respect . . .

Are you the only tuba player for miles around? Are you just too good for this orchestra? You're acting like it.

I've played in orchestras for 30 years and nobody ever apologized to me for the lack of tuba notes. And there was no reason for them to do so. Nobody owes you any apology.

If you took that attitude with the orchestra management, you told them that you have better things to do than play the tuba part on this concert. You have just tagged yourself as "DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH". Don't be surprised if they find somebody else who will cover the tuba part -- regardless of the number of notes -- and who will not be a pain in the $^%$^% to work with. And don't be surprised if they decide to call that person from now on.

If you occupy the tuba chair in an orchestra -- ANY orchestra -- it is your responsibility to cover the tuba part to the best of your ability. If you don't like having only 14 notes to play, that's not the orchestra's problem. Take it up with Mr. Dvorak.

If you don't want the gig, somebody else will be glad to take it. There is ALWAYS somebody else.

Follow Ups: