Re: Re: WHAT TUBAS ARE YOU USING FOR SOLO WORK?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by exceptions on September 24, 2003 at 16:12:51:

In Reply to: Re: WHAT TUBAS ARE YOU USING FOR SOLO WORK? posted by :-P on September 24, 2003 at 13:52:36:

I've heard of Roger Bobo... he drew musicians and non-musicians from all around. Also, I am financing the purchase of a new horn purely by doing solo competitions. Sure, it's not a living (and I don't expect to make a living doing it), but if I wasn't soloing, I'd be working a non musical job to make money. Personally I'd rather pay for a new horn with the money I made playing my instrument than with the money I might make flipping burgers. I haven't won all of the competitions I've entered, but I'm less than $1000 short for that new horn and all of that money has come from solo playing in the last year. Aside from the money, most of these competitions also have yielded great solo recital and concerto opportunities. I also think it's a great idea to have a separate horn for solo/quintet/high orchestra playing. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead entering a concerto competition and trying to outplay a violinist with my big CC.

Follow Ups: