Re: Doubling on Tuba by Euph player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on September 25, 2003 at 01:41:39:

In Reply to: Doubling on Tuba by Euph player posted by Roy on September 24, 2003 at 22:19:08:

I don't really think the size of the tuba is a factor in doubling, rather the size of the mouthpiece and air usage in the lower register.

I play both Euph and Tuba (albeit not so great on either) as an amateur. For a while I was playing euph in one band and tuba in another, but then we lost a tuba player in my "euph" band and with only one it was dicey as to whether we could field a band at times, so now I play tuba in both. I think the euph parts are more challenging/interesting, but it's easier for a band to have no euph than no tuba.

Even though I had played tuba in school lo these many many many years ago, getting back to it from euph took a while.

In particular I used to notice that after playing euph I had a double buzz on tuba so I would usually practice tuba first, then euph. Getting a full lower register on tuba took time, but it helped the lower register on euph.

After a while this became less of a problem, and now I'm happily playing BBb and F tuba as well as euph.

I do think that my high range on euph has suffered a bit, but with enough practice it comes back when I need it.

Follow Ups: