Re: Making a living (and paying loans)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on September 26, 2003 at 20:23:38:

In Reply to: Making a living (and paying loans) posted by Lan on September 20, 2003 at 15:15:17:

I graduated from a decent small school with a performance degree, went to the only orchestral audition in the US that summer (pickin's were real slim), and left after the first round, along with players from all the best-known schools in the country. After not winning a job that did not even pay a living, I did my math and a reality check. I found that few were willing to get a haircut, wear a military uniform and voluntarily give up some of their freedoms to be a professional tuba player. I made the decision to do it, and it has been paying off in many ways ever since. I was a soldier-musician, and I had colleagues that did the same, or got education degrees and became teacher-musicians, and others that pursued a non-musical career path and played as outstanding amateur or semi-professional musicians. A few may manage to have a major playing position as their primary livelihood, but only a few. While stationed in San Antonio, TX, I was able to directly observe and compare the life I had, and that of the San Antonio Symphony's tubist. I decided I liked the career track I was in. now I am retired from the Army, and my instrument repair business is my primary source of income. There are not enough tuba gigs in Atlanta to go around, and everyone here that plays professionally has diversified to make it. All the local pro tuba players teach, double on other instruments, work in some capacity for a music company, or in my case, run my own business.
You have to find your place, and what you can live with. Let me mention that the military offers a college loan repayment plan. Do four years of active duty, and the US governemt will pay your college loans for you, up to $50,000.00. This has been a great help to a lot of young musicians in recent years.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: