Re: Silent Brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on September 28, 2003 at 00:40:30:

In Reply to: Silent Brass posted by Student on September 27, 2003 at 12:12:51:

I would recommend recording yourself more and not purchasing this system for that purpose. The Silent Brass will distort your sound enough that you will not get a more accurate representation of your sound "out front."

Plus, it is never a good idea to practice regularly with a mute more than is absolutely necessary. The weight of the mute (particularly the Silent Brass) creates a lot of tension in your shoulders and arms because the horn becomes much more top-heavy. Additionally, the mute makes changes in the intonation and resistance of the horn that may alter your approach to the instrument if practiced for long periods of time, creating problems with consistency and accuracy when you play the horn without the mute.

Despite all of this, I am actually one of Silent Brass's biggest fans. I am no longer restricted to practicing during daytime hours only, extending my practice time into the night when necessary. Plus, practicing with the resistance of a mute for short periods of time may actually help broaden your sound.

Your mileage may vary....

Follow Ups: