Re: Re: Q&A for me in my weight los experiment

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa again on September 29, 2003 at 17:41:33:

In Reply to: Re: Q&A for me in my weight los experiment posted by lisa on September 29, 2003 at 17:28:23:

I forgot to add this...
I also want to add that I agree with Mary Ann! Society has become focused on "catering to the masses," thus as Mary Ann states, the marketing shows a complete indifference towards the betterment of the health of citizens.
Personally, as a vegetarian, it is an absolute shame as to the inavailability of quick foods that I can eat. (Even HEALTHY fast food WITH meat is a rarity.) I can eat a veggie sub at Subway. I can eat a microwaved veggie burger at Burger King. I can get salads with the meat held at other fast food places. I ate at McDonald's with a friend the other day, and the only thing I could eat was a caesar salad with the chicken held, and some tasteless "Lite" dressing. Even the veggie products on the market (my saviors when it comes to fast dinners) are high in sodium and cost twice as much as regular lite meat-based foods.
The astounding number of "diet pills" on the market only furthers this cause. We sell "quick fixes" to consumers so that they can continue to horde on fast food and still lose weight with no exercise. This is not helping anyone... and it has been proven the products don't work all that well.
With the HMO issues we face today, the complaints from doctors, etc., one would think that an effort to improve would be made. It doesn't appear that this is the case. For example, I live in Columbus, Ohio. There are TWO health food stores in the city; I have to drive at LEAST 35 minutes to get to one, 45 minutes to the other. This is sad.
Tying this in to the physical aspects of playing, perhaps this could be part of the reason that the perceived image of tuba players is that we are the "big people." (With exceptions of course!) It isn't that tuba players are the big people, it is just that there is a very large percentage of Americans that are "big people." We are part of the whole population.
I would be interested in studying the overallsuccess and achievement level of players in other countries with healthier habits as compared to this country. I think that might aid your study quite a bit!
Just rambling...
-l

Follow Ups: